Sunday, August 22, 2010

Slow Cookers and a great set it and forget it meat dish...

Slow Cookers (AKA- The Crock Pot) are one of my very favorite things on earth. So much so, my husband and I own five of them (three smalls 1.5 quart sized, a 3 quart size, and a 5 quart sized). Slow cookers let you make things ahead and keep them at a food-safe temperature for later service. Small crocks are also great for doing dips for parties and gatherings. Crocks aren't expensive and can be used for a ton of different dishes. Again, it's one of those things I don't mind taking room in my kitchen.

One of my favorite things to do in a crock pot is pulled pork. The following recipe came about entirely by accident. I was in need of something I could set to cook while I ran errands all day. Looking in the fridge and the pantry, I tried a little experiment and came up with the following. It's a delicious twist on traditional pull pork, and is great over some boil-in-bag rice with a side of steam veggies.

Thai Peanut Pulled Pork

1 lb of pork tenderloin roast
1/2 bottle of House of Tsang Peanut Pandang Sauce
2 heaping tablespoons of peanut butter
Water to cover

Poke the pork roast all over with a fork. Place it fat-side down in a crock pot (3 or 5 qt). Pour 1/2 bottle of House of Tsang Peanut Pandang sauce (I reserve the other half for the veggies). Add two heaping teaspoons of peanut butter and enough water to barely cover the pork. Give it a stir. Set the crock pot to low and let cook 6-8 hours. The pork should pull apart easily with a fork. If you want to, a 1/4 of chopped peanuts makes a nice garnish on top of the pork and gives it a nice crunch.

Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment